Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Stream

Today I got one of those must-forward-to-12-people-in-5-minutes-or-live-a-miserable-life emails. I know some people who hate these emails because of the off-chance they might actually get cursed for not forwarding them. But since I am already cursed and live a miserable life anyway, I don't mind them.

Because I am skipping class today for no particular reason, I figured I'd try an experiment. Apparently, if I forward the email to 12 people, I get a free wish that will surely come true on the fourth day. I wished for a life-size pink suede elephant. God knows that I will happily spam 12 people to get a life-size pink suede elephant. And if I don't, I will know for SURE that these things don't work, and no one will ever have to check their inbox in fear again.

Here is the email below. In my creative writing class back at NYU, I had to do all these writing exercises called stream-of-consciousness writing. Otherwise known as: write down whatever thoughts that come to mind first, whether they make any sense or not. Since I haven't done this for a while, I'll practice on this email:

"St. Theresa's Prayer (bah!):

May today there be peace within. (Too late.) May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. (I am skipping class and eating breakfast in the library instead. Good job, God. You take full responsibility.) May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. (So, no faith = only finite possibilities? Or no possibilities at all?) May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. (Okie. Now I just have to receive some gifts and get some love.) May you be content knowing you are a child of God. (I may be a bastard child.) Let this presence settle into your bones (I'd rather have more calcium settle into my bones), and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love (too bad I lost privity of contract with my soul when I sold it at the law school front door). It is there for each and every one of us. (I wish I could bet money against this, but St. Theresa is dead.)"

Some of you might get this email from me any second now. Take comfort in the fact that this nuisance is bringing me one step closer to my pink elephant.

No comments: