I never grocery shop, because I don't cook. I don't even have a pot. I just have a second-hand butcher knife that someone brought over during my house-warming party. I don't think it even belonged to him. It could be a third or even fourth-hand butcher knife. I sleep with this knife on my nightstand.
When I lived in LA, I used to go through the motions and go buy some milk and eggs every once in a while. This is because people in LA spend at least a few nights a week eating at home, which is weird. People buy all this organic lettuce and mix it with free-range figs or something and make lots of salads. I, on the other hand, would open my fridge and there'd be fermenting cheese and shivering baby chicks squatting where the milk and eggs used to be. So I gave up.
In China, I go to the grocery store once every 3 months to buy a boatload of toilet paper. That's about it.
Today, though, I ran into an unusual dilemma. I didn't want to eat out and I'm offically sick of every takeout option in Beijing. So after wandering around the Third Ring for a while, I went into Century Mart, where I found this:
Breadcake, you guys. A hugeass chunk of bread with a layer of cake in the middle.
Have you ever wanted ten thousand empty carb calories slathered with sugar and butter, but couldn't decide between bread or cake? This is the Chinese grocery store bakery product for you.
I forgot to mention it's also coated with icing and pork flakes. Dairy and protein, check check.
I'd love to say it was totally disgusting, but it's only disgusting how fast I ate the entire thing.
When I lived in LA, I used to go through the motions and go buy some milk and eggs every once in a while. This is because people in LA spend at least a few nights a week eating at home, which is weird. People buy all this organic lettuce and mix it with free-range figs or something and make lots of salads. I, on the other hand, would open my fridge and there'd be fermenting cheese and shivering baby chicks squatting where the milk and eggs used to be. So I gave up.
In China, I go to the grocery store once every 3 months to buy a boatload of toilet paper. That's about it.
Today, though, I ran into an unusual dilemma. I didn't want to eat out and I'm offically sick of every takeout option in Beijing. So after wandering around the Third Ring for a while, I went into Century Mart, where I found this:
Breadcake, you guys. A hugeass chunk of bread with a layer of cake in the middle.
Have you ever wanted ten thousand empty carb calories slathered with sugar and butter, but couldn't decide between bread or cake? This is the Chinese grocery store bakery product for you.
I forgot to mention it's also coated with icing and pork flakes. Dairy and protein, check check.
I'd love to say it was totally disgusting, but it's only disgusting how fast I ate the entire thing.

1 comment:
Haha very entertaining to read:)
Post a Comment